There are several different ways that care can be funded. If you have any questions please ask.

Direct Payment

The local authority may offer you the option of a personal budget or direct payment in order to provide you with more control and flexibility over your care and support services. These options are available to both individuals with care needs and caregivers.

The local authority may offer some services at no cost, but for many care services, a financial assessment may be conducted to determine if you should be responsible for paying or contributing towards the cost. This assessment will be carried out by the local authority.

This gives can allow you to use your Direct Payments in a variety of ways, such as:

  • Personal care and support
  • Domestic help around the home
  • Outings and social activities
  • Short-term residential care
  • Keeping up your hobbies
  • Attending medical appointments

If you are unable or prefer not to manage your own finances, it is possible for someone else to manage your direct payments for you. Direct payments are voluntary and you must request or agree to receive one. You cannot be required to accept direct payments. If you choose to receive direct payments, you can change your mind at any time. If you no longer wish to have direct payments, you can contact your local social services and ask them to arrange services on your behalf.

Who is eligible for direct payments?

Usually, if you or the person you’re caring for are assessed and social services decide that support services are required, they are obliged to offer you the option of receiving direct payments so that you can arrange care and support yourself.

If you want a direct payment but you don’t want to manage it yourself, you are able to nominate a person to receive the direct payment and manage it on your behalf.

Occasionally social services are not obliged to offer direct payment. This could apply to:

  • People who are subject to mental health laws.
  • Offenders who are undergoing treatment for drug or alcohol dependence

If someone is assessed as being eligible for support but it’s not possible for them to get direct payments, or if they’ve decided that they do not want one, social services have to provide care and support directly, or through an individual service fund.

How direct payments are managed

Your obligations should be set out by the council in an agreement that you may be asked to sign. These obligations could include:

  • Maintaining records of expenditure.
  • Assuming the legal role of an employer if you are using the payment to pay for a care worker. The council can give advise about which local organisations can help you to manage the admin and other responsibilities of being an employer.

Direct payments can only be used to fulfill the assessed needs of the individual. If you use a direct payment on something that does not meet your needs, social services may recover the funds from you or end the direct payment agreement.

People who receive support from social services should have their care and support plan reviewed annually as a minumum. If someone’s needs have changed, they should contact social services to request a review of their care plan. If the changes in needs affect the current plan, the council may conduct another assessment of needs or a financial assessment.

Social services may charge for care and support, which means you may be required to contribute financially towards your personal budget amount. Your local social services must inform you if you need to make a contribution and how much it will be. This information will be included in your personal budget. Their charges must be in accordance with the law. Generally, the council will deduct any charges you need to pay from the personal budget amount rather than requesting payment from you directly.

If you require assistance with managing your direct payments, you should be able to obtain help. Contact the local authority’s social services department to learn about the support they offer. Social services may provide assistance directly or through a local direct payments support service.

You may also be able to get support from local voluntary organisations.

Local Authority Funding

If you’re in need of care and support your local authority may pay for some or all of your support if your needs meet the eligibility criteria and you don’t have the means to pay for the services yourself. The local authority may carry out a financial assessment to see if you should pay or contribute to the cost of the services.

Local authorities are not required to charge for care services, however, they have to make sure that they abide by legal guidance if they do.

If they pay for some or all of the care, you will be given a personal budget. This may be given directly to you, either through its own staff or through an organisation that is contracted to do so. Or you may receive direct payments that allow you to buy the services that you require yourself.

Free services

There are certain things that a local authority are olbliged to provide for free if you are assessed as needing them. These include:

  • Community equipment
  • Minor adaptations to your home
  • Reablement

Community equipment

“Community equipment” are items that are designed to make day-to-day life easier, such as:

  • Equipment to help with zips or buttons
  • Telephones with large buttons or flashing lights
  • Communication aids
  • Telecare equipment

Whether there is need for these types of equipment will be determinded by an assessment of needs. The local authoirty will be likely to have rules around which items it will consider supplying.

If you disagree with them about the equipment it is willing to supply please use their complaints procedure.

Minor adaptations

Minor adaptations are amends to the living space that costs less than £1,000. These adaptations are provided by local authorities at no charge. Minor adaptations include:

  • ​Grab rails to make it safer to get in and out of a bath
  • Blocks to make beds higher
  • Raised toilet seats and bath seats

There are certain times when you may be asked to pay for associated costs such as maintenance. If the adaptation costs are more than £1,000 you may be entitled to a disabled facilities grant.


Reablement services are there to help people adapt to a recent illness or disability by helping people to learn or relearn the skill required for independent daily life at home.

Reablement services should be offered for free by the local authority for up to 6 weeks.

Financial assessment

If you have been assessed as requiring care services, your local authority will carry out a means test to ascertain if you should pay something towards the cost of the care.

The assessment will look at your income, including tax credits and other disability-related benefits. Disability-related expenditures can include things such as laundry, bedding, and respite care.

If you need to go into a care home, the local authority is obliged to make sure that you have enough money to pay for essentials such as clothes and toiletries.

Your local authority also has the discretion to allow for larger expenditures such as support for dependant children.

If you’re receiving care at home, your local authority has to ensure that you have enough money left after charges to meet your living costs. This would include things like food and rent. This is known as the minimum income guarantee.

Capital, deprivation of capital and notional capital

Your capital, such as savings and property will also be assessed. If you have more than £23,250 in savings then the local authority won’t contribute to the cost of the care.

If the value of your home puts you above this limit, but you have a low income, the local authority may allow you to defer payment until the home is sold.

It is important to note that if the local authority thinks you have deliberately got rid of capital in order to get financial aid it will treat you as still having the capital.

Self Funding

The care and support that we provide can be financed via Local Authority funding depending on your circumstances, or you may pay for the care and support yourself.

Lots of people opt to do both. These people receive local authority funded support and ‘top up’ the support by paying for the small extras that the Local Authority does not provide.

If you want to spread the cost with family, we are able to ‘split the bill’ between family members if that makes things easier for you.

Some customers who are over 65 and who pay privately are able to claim Attendance Allowance. This is a non-means tested allowance that can be used to pay for home care.

How to pay

Card payment

We accept all major debit or credit cards. Payment can be made securely by contacting our support office on 01462 341 160.


Cheques must be made payable to “Authum Care Ltd”.

​Bank transfer

Our bank details can be found on our invoice. Please use your invoice number as reference when making bank transfers.